MN Department of Revenue Education Expense Programs
As you prepare for the upcoming school year, we ask for your help to spread the word to families about state programs that help pay for education expenses – the Minnesota K?12 Education Subtraction and the K-12 Education Credit. Many families do not know about, or take advantage of, these valuable tax benefits.
These benefits can reduce parents’ taxes and increase their refund, but only if they save their receipts.
Generally, most expenses paid for educational instruction or materials qualify, including:
- Pens and notebooks
- Rental or purchases of educational equipment such as musical instruments; computer hardware and educational software
- After-school tutoring and educational summer camps taught by a qualified instructor.
Most Minnesota parents qualify for the K-12 subtraction, which reduces their taxable income. Parents under certain income limits may also qualify for the K-12 credit, which can refund up to 75% of their costs – even for parents who do not owe any taxes.
How can you help?
Please visit our website at www.revenue.state.mn.us and type K-12 Promotional Materials in the Search box. We ask that you:
- Distribute the K-12 informational handout to families. Our handout is also available in Spanish, Hmong, and Somali languages.
- Post the sample messages on your social media accounts or school newsletters.
- Share the K-12 Education Tax Credit video with families.
Watch their informational video - click here!
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact:
Visit the MN Department of Revenue website: www.revenue.state.mn.us