Learn About Helpful K-12 Tax Benefits!
Spread the word to families about K-12 tax benefits
Minnesota Department of Revenue sent this bulletin on 08/06/2019
As you prepare for the upcoming school year, the Minnesota Department of Revenue would like your help informing families about two state programs: the Minnesota K-12 Education Credit and Subtraction. Many families do not know about, or take advantage of, these valuable tax benefits.
What should families know?
These benefits can reduce parents' taxes and increase their refund, but only if they save receipts for their qualifying education expenses.
Most Minnesota parents qualify for the K-12 Education Subtraction, which reduces their taxable income. Parents may also qualify for the K-12 Education Credit under certain income limits. The credit can refund up to 75% of parents' costs - even if they do not owe tax.
What education expenses qualify?
Most expenses for educational instruction or materials qualify, including:
- Pens and notebooks
- Rental or purchases of educational equipment, including musical instruments
- Computer hardware and educational software (up to $200 for the subtraction and credit)
- After-school tutoring and educational summer camps taught by a qualified instructor
What other information is available for parents?
- K-12 informational handout for families (also available in Spanish, Hmong, and Somali).
- K-12 Education Tax Credit video
If you have questions or need more information, contact us: